Download Youtube videos to store the videos and watch them even if you don’t have an Internet connection or if you plan to edit the videos.
You probably know that YouTube 📀 is one of the largest video sharing sites and is considered as the largest video-on-demand platform in the world.
Before we get started, here are some stats on Youtube :
- The first YouTube video was posted on April 23, 2005 .
- The total number of people who use YouTube is estimated at 1,300,000,000 .
- By 2025, half of viewers under the age of 32 will not be subscribed to a pay-TV service. It is estimated that they will be able to redirect to Youtube.
- It is estimated that 300 hours of video are posted on YouTube every minute.
- 32 840 000 000 visitors on Youtube in July 2020 according to the site Similarweb.com.
- 49% of users are in the US still according to Similarweb.com.
- Nearly 5 billion videos are watched on Youtube every day.
- YouTube would receive more than 30 million visitors a day.
- 64% of social traffic comes from Facebook according to Similarweb.com
- 8 people between 18-49 years of age out of 10 watch YouTube videos.
- 6 out of 10 people prefer online video platforms to live TV.
- The total number of hours of video watched on YouTube each month: 3.25 billion.
- The number of videos that generated more than 1 billion views is estimated at 10,113 videos.
- 80% of YouTube views come from outside the United States.
- The average number of views of Mobile Youtube videos per day is 1,000,000,000.
- The average mobile viewing session lasts more than 40 minutes. This increases by about 50% from year to year.
- People who watch Youtube are 38% women and 62% men.
- It is estimated that more than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices.
- The number of hours people spend watching videos on YouTube is up 60% year on year, the fastest growth we’ve seen in 2 years.
- There are about 76 different languages to browse on YouTube. This makes it possible to cover 95% of the Internet population.
- YouTube has launched local versions in more than 88 countries.
- 9% of us small businesses use Youtube.
- About 20% of the people who start your video will leave after the first 10 seconds. For this, if you have a Youtube channel, I advise you to create a very good video intro.
If you want to know how to download Youtube videos in 2020, just follow this complete tutorial till the end. Youtube videos can be downloaded in several formats : MP4, AVI, MPEG, and more.
If, however, you need to simply download the sound of the video, then you can download the content in MP3 format. You will then only have the audio channel of the Youtube video.
Before you start, I advise you to check whether it is legal to download the video you are interested in.
Is it legal to download Youtube videos ?
Based on these assumptions, the good platforms that allow you to download Youtube videos do not accept downloading any video.
Some YouTube to MP3 converters have special provisions where they only allow the conversion of videos that are publicly available on YouTube.
These platforms even have means that make it possible to file a complaint in case of copyright infringement. In this way the video is forbidden to download and blocked by the platform.
Don’t worry. The right platforms are law-abiding and prevent you from doing anything.
What are the steps to download Youtube videos ?
Downloading YouTube videos in 2020 has become super easy, simple and is done in a snap of your fingers. There are several ways to download Youtube videos – and we’re going to watch it together one by one.
One of the easiest ways to download YouTube videos is to use online video converters.
A. download YouTube videos using a video Download tool.
Using a YouTube Downloader is the fastest way to download YouTube videos. The steps are as follows :
1. Copy the URL of the Youtube video.
If you want to download a Youtube video, you can just copy the URL of the Youtube video. The URL address is the address you have in the address bar of your browser. Suppose you want to download this YouTube video on Pomodoro technique.
The URL is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLXwKlLcYsY&t=91s as in the picture below :
You simply need to copy, without procrastinating, this URL, and then you will open another tab on your browser to go to the site that will allow you to download Youtube videos.
There are several sites for downloading Youtube videos.
Y2mate is a very simple and easy to use video download site. For the most curious, according to Similaeweb.com, y2mate received more than 117,000,000 visitors in July 2020.
To download your Youtube video, you will simply paste the URL of the video you copied into the search bar of y2mate.
Here is a screenshot of y2mate where you can download your Youtube video.
Just paste the URL into the text box above and click the ‘Start’ button. Some websites may also have different buttons with labels like ‘Go’ ‘ ‘download’ or ‘go’ etc.
Another tool I love is keepvid. It also allows you to paste the URL of the video and download the video.
2. Choose a download tool.
First, you will select the best YouTube video Download tool that you will use.
Choose a tool that is compatible with your operating system. The most commonly used systems are: Windows, Mac and Linux. Depending on the operating system you use, your choices may vary. However, there are download tools that work on all these systems or are compatible on all these systems.
There is FLVTO – a tool compatible with Linux, Windows and Mac.
You can also choose depending on whether a tool is free or not. While there are great free tools, paid versions are usually more feature-rich. Some examples of such tools are 4k Video Downloader and AVC.
Note that although the free versions are quite powerful, the premium versions offer better audio and video quality, more advanced Download features like bulk download, and a larger file format option.
So you have the choice between a browser-based tool or a downloadable tool. Personally I prefer browser-based tools because I find it faster and I don’t need to install any software on my computer.
You might also be overwhelmed by the huge number of different video converters available. It’s a little difficult to determine which one is most suitable for you.
3. Some features to check
Here are some features that are essential to help make your choice :
Bulk downloads – you can download Youtube videos in batches or a single video. Everything will depend on your need. If you want to download an entire playlist, consider choosing a download site that allows bulk download.
- Video quality – the choice of quality is important when downloading. The quality can be low, medium or high. It’s even better if you can choose specific resolutions like videos 360 pixels, 720 pixels, 1080 pixels in width and more.
- Speed, download times should not be heavily affected by fluctuations in the Internet connection.
- Subtitles – would you prefer to download these particular videos with subtitles ?
- Built-in video editor – video editing needs can occur at any time, making it an essential feature in a YouTube video Download tool.
3. Choose The File Format And Video Quality.
Once you paste the URL of the YouTube video into the search box, you will have several choices. On y2mate you can choose the video format you want to download, the video quality and the file size.
Choose the size of the video you want and click “Download”.
Some of the tools also allow you to download YouTube videos in formats such as WMV, mpg, AVI, ASF, M2TS, 3GP, 3g2, FLV, MKV, SWF, WebM, HTML5 WEBM, HTML5 OGG, HTML5, and more.
Once the video is uploaded, you can play it whenever and wherever you want.
B. Download YouTube Videos Directly.
You don’t always need to use a tool to download YouTube videos. It is quite easy to download YouTube videos directly from the YouTube site.
Here are the different steps:
1. Go to the Youtube video.
Open YouTube in your browser and go to the video you are interested in.
2. Change the URL
Change the URL by adding ‘ ss ‘ in after the three W (www) and just before youtube.com
Once you have entered it, just press the “Enter” button on your keyboard.
Then you will be directly redirected to a site like savefrom.net which will allow you to download Youtube videos.
3. Download the video
By the time you press the “Enter” button, you are redirected to the website and you will see that the text editor has already insert the URL of the video, so that you do not need to copy and paste the link. Your video is ready to download – all you need to do maintenat is to click the “Download” button.
Today we saw some simple tricks to download Youtube videos. None of these methods require prior technical know-how.
These steps help you access your favorite YouTube videos anytime, even if you don’t have a stable Internet connection. Download Youtube videos and store them on your computer. In addition, having an option to save the videos in a format you want is also useful.
Which of the ways to download YouTube videos did you find the smoothest to implement? Give your opinion below.
I’m a former indie game developer who love writing articles about Internet tips. Don’t hesitate to contact me.